Who is Patrick Osei?
Patrick Osei is the founder of Hot Money Studios, the UK’s leading rap music studio. With almost 20 years in the music industry, Osei understands how to design a strong brand from the ground up. A man of many talents, he is a music producer, audio engineer, and entrepreneur. Read on to learn more on how Osei launched himself as a music producer and founded the top rap music studio in the UK.
Getting His Start
Osei’s story begins in 2001, when he landed his first record contract in the UK. He put in the time and worked hard; by 2003, he was a key player in the UK Garage/Grime scene. At this point, he realized he needed a change and wanted to get into the business side of music. From 2004 to 2008, he studied the music business, grinding to learn the ins and outs. In 2008, he launched Hot Money Studios. He has since brought his hard work and talent to team up with others, creating a top 40 UK hit record.
Find What Sets You Apart
As a music producer, Osei understands that you must find your niche. What demand needs to be met in your desired industry? For Osei, he recognized that there was huge room to profit in the music industry for more affordable rates in the studio. He doesn’t skimp on quality either – Hot Money offers major label sound at indie rates. Osei was trained on keyboard by Margaret Mason, one of the UK’s leading keyboard players and creative organists of her time. He brings that expertise to his music business every day.
Creating a Routine for Success
Osei uses the same discipline that brings him success in his professional life, in his personal life. For him, starting out the morning with a workout is a must. After that, he gets an early start on emails, knowing that consistent communication is key. From there, it’s office and studio time. Depending on the day, that can mean office work as well as recording sessions with different artists. Between all of this, you’ll find Osei taking phone calls and meetings. When the work is done for the day, he always makes time for reading before bed. In his free time, Osei unwinds by listening to Jazz, reading, and watching Netflix.
His Advice for Entrepreneurs
- Define your vision, and go get it. Osei’s top piece of advice is to focus on your vision and put in the hard work to achieve it. Don’t accept failure – take it as an opportunity to learn from your mistakes.
- Identify role models that inspire you. For Osei, that’s Gary Vee, Elon Musk, and his father. Why do they inspire you? What qualities do they have that you envy? Would adopting some of their traits serve your vision?
- Set goals. Osei got to where he is by having a vision for himself. His big goal for the future is to create a music licensing company, selling beats to independent musicians. Additionally, he plans to get into the digital marketing space.
- Know what drives you and use it. The birth of his children and becoming a father were key moments of Osei’s life which motivate him to this day.
- Understand that every day is another opportunity to win. Simple as it sounds, each day is a fresh start and it’s all about what you do with that. Take it one day at a time.
- Osei’s favorite quote to live by: “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” Tim Notke, basketball coach.